Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pizza Boy

Out at a bar one night I was approached by a young adult male. I was, as usual, pretty drunk and my memory from that evening is fuzzy. I believe we made polite conversation as the bar closed and found out we were around the same age and lived in the same area.

So me, being a total and complete pushover, willingly gave my (real) phone number to a stranger who I talked to for a grand total of 5 minutes. I usually assume that drunk guys who ask for my number are not going to call.

Boy, was I WRONG.

This character (whose name I did not remember) proceeded to begin texting and calling me immediately the next day. Multiple times a day. With voicemails. The texts included pet names along with numerous invitations to meet up for pizza or at a bar with friends. I declined all invitations, but I did enjoy the attention so I played along for a little bit. I even wasted a solid 15 minutes learning his name and some information he may have told me the night we met. He told me about his job as a pizza delivery boy and his life goal of being a contractor. Not to be judgmental, of course, but he seemed to be as much fun as a root canal AND had no ambition.

After that I did not answer any phone calls or text messages. Pizza Boy was not discouraged. One night, after about 2-3 weeks of my ignoring him, Pizza Boy left me a voicemail. On it, he said "Hi its [Pizza Boy]. Yeah, um, I don't really think this is gonna work out...", followed by some other nonsense.

WTF? I had just gotten dumped by a guy I wasn't even dating? And one I had already tried to cut ties with by completely ignoring him. To his credit, he sounded very drunk on the message. But that made me no less confused. I felt a bit of a blow to my ego, but why? This kid was a total weirdo. Again I said, WTF?

Pizza Boy wasn't done. A week or so after telling me it wasn't going to work, he tried to redeem himself. He left me a message apologizing for what he said when he was "ripped", then said he could always use a friend and asked if I wanted to go out with him a few weeks later.

Obviously I ignored this message again. I am still not sure whether to be flattered or freaked out by his behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment