Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Can I Get Your Number?

As I have said previously, I usually have no problem giving out my phone number. Because it's rare that these guys actually call. With of course, the exception of pizza boy. I have also found, that for whatever reason, I don't get hit on very often so I don't bother to expect much when I go out.

Last weekend, my night was going as planned. I did not talk to anyone I didn't know. I went about my business and probably appeared rather unfriendly. But I was having a good time and well on my way to expect a hangover the following morning.

When I was standing outside the bathroom, a guy asked me the ever-so-popular "Have you met my friend?". So I tried to be friendly and smiled and said, "No, I haven't" with my best flirtatious giggle. So I met this "Friend", who turned out to be a tall blond, blue-eyed, reasonably attractive guy. Niiiiice. So the "Friend" and I talked for a few minutes. He complemented my shirt and we had some polite conversation. After about 5 minutes, he asked for my number. To which I said, you're going to ask for my number and we talked for like two minutes? He told me that he could screen through the phone call. This seemed pretty logical, at least at the time. So I gave it to him and he claimed to have saved it.

A few days later and no word from this guy and I knew he wasn't going call. Or even text. That's fine, but why bother asking for my number? Is it a self-esteem boost for him? I guess so. But why? Did his friend have a bet with him? Did he bet I was too hot for him to talk to or too ugly? Or was I one of 5 or 6 phone numbers he got throughout the night? I don't know. But it's kind of annoying. I feel like a pawn in some secret boys' game. It's like an ego boost and major blow at the same time. It will definitely continue, and maybe next time I'll have more discretion handing out my number so it doesn't bug me so much when he doesn't call.

1 comment:

  1. ok so once a guy friend told us that when a guy asks for a girl's number, the girl thinks it means he's going to call (obviously, why else would you ask for someone's number!) but to a guy, there is a 1 in 3 chance they are going to call, but they want to have it just in case you are that 1/3. so basically, while we are handing over our digits hoping it means they'll call, they are already scheming on whether we are "good enough" and worthy of a call.

    so here's my theory: make them work for your number to make sure they are the 1/3 that you want to call you (take that boys!) or say no and move along... plenty more fish in the sea.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete