Monday, March 9, 2009

The Name Game

You know how you always hear about people getting called the wrong name in the middle of a "sack sesh"? Fortunately this has not happened to me (yet).

But what has happened to me is a mind-blowing one nighter. I thought this would be a one night stand. No numbers exchanged, no indication there would be further communication. Perfect. He didn't go to my school or even live in the state so I expected to never have to cross paths with him again.

He was my roommate (Let's call her Joanie's) boyfriend's friend. And apparently sticking around for longer than expected. The following day, my roommates Joanie, Kendall and Maura went to dinner with Joanie's boyfriend and a number of his friends. There were maybe ten or twelve of us total. The girls and I of course arrived fashionably late and the last remaining seats were... Oh no. There he was, last night's boy, wearing a preppy pastel polo and a childish grin. I thought he had gone home to wherever he said he was from? Gah. Trying my best not to be awkward and thanking God Kendall was there to help, we made small talk as we perused the menu. He mocked me for not drinking (did he think I was sober last night?) and we even got to know each other a bit. I thought he was being pretty nice, maybe even flirtatious? Considering the prior evening's events, I thought all was going well.

Then, while trying to convince me to try some very unappetizing sushi, he said "Come on, Allie".

My name is not Allie.

He did this not once but twice, and I was too embarrassed to correct him. Instead, I texted Joanie and Maura, stuck at the other end of the table, and they told him of his little blunder. They were quite amused and when my pastel-wearing partner went to say hello to Joanie's boyfriend, they broke the news. He turned bright red and avoided me for the remainder of the night.

1 comment:

  1. yikes. reason #432801 why we are the dominant gender.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete