Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Rejection Tango

Cornell and I (yep, same one) have kept in touch on and off over the last few months. We randomly would text each other, and even met up once. I even drunkenly texted him while out with the Accountant (more on him later). He usually ends up asking me to come over, and I politely decline and ask he text me before 9 pm. Even though I'm clearly a piece of ass not worth seeing in daylight, a few weeks later I try, try again!

Crazy? Yeah, probably. And totally not a "me" thing to do. Usually, I figure if he's interested he'll make some sort of effort to hang out. And if not, screw it. I move on.

But for some reason, I can't get him out of my head.

I attribute this to the immediate feeling of comfort I got with him. We had an easy dynamic, a rhythm. Wacky as it may sound, I just felt like we were on the same wavelength. When Seraphina met him, she noticed that we had "the same" sense of humor. Whether or not this is the case, I'm sure he doesn't think I'm anyone special. When I told him I couldn't be his booty call, he said he wanted to be friends. I can work with that...and obviously show him how fabulous I am!

That lasted maybe a week or so at best. Despite the drunken lines in feeds me (which he claims are not lines) and his quick responsiveness when I text, he's made it pretty clear I'm not worth his time. He often claims he wants to hang out and was 'going to text me but forgot' or will continue a conversation after I've stopped responding.

I've tried deleting his number so I do not have the option of texting him, but I cannot bring myself to do so.

During our most recent texting fest, he was obviously trying to convince me to go to his apartment. And made reference to that fateful night where we apparently (must have?) hooked up. He said he "had a great time the night you slept over".

Ughh. I was hoping we could just put that behind us? It was months ago after all.

I must have just been unforgettable.

So, rather than agree that I had a great time as well, I decided to do what I do best. Be honest. I told him that night was fuzzy and I think he has the wrong idea about me. Of course he shot back with some nonsense that he knows I'm a "sweet" girl and he doesn't have the wrong idea, but really wished I'd go over. He also said I was dodging him and he'd wanted to hang out for a while. I tried telling him that I'm not dodging him at 3 am.

Essentially, we got nowhere. I was happy to (drunkenly) tell him that evening at his apartment was fuzzy. Even if it didn't sink in.

So the next morning, he apologized for asking me to go over so many times the night before.

I told him no worries and that was that.

That was maybe two weeks ago. I resisted texting him...

UNTIL I HEARD HE'S QUITTING HIS JOB AT THE VERY COMPANY WHERE WE MET! AND MOVING TO THE CITY!

Guess I'll really never see him again.

Against Korey's advice, upon hearing this news, I texted him. Of course. I told him I'd heard he quit and bid him good luck. He said some BS and we went back and forth. I eventually passed out, and woke up to a text that said we should get a drink before he leaves town. I responded (dumbass Single Friend) that I'd be down even though we always say we're gonna meet up blah, blah. He said we'd figure it out. I told him I wouldn't hold my breath. He said I was harsh. I said I was not harsh, just saying. And if he ever wanted to get that drink to let me know.

And that was that. Strangely, I feel relieved. If we couldn't meet up here, there's no way it will happen after he moves. Maybe now I can actually delete his number, knowing the odds are much slimmer that we'll ever encounter each other on purpose or by accident. It was obvious all along that he didn't want to be friends, and just saw me as easy. Maybe he liked me for a day or six. But he got what he wanted. And moved on.

Why can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment