Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Wild One?

I tend to be considered a wild child. Frequently I wonder why. I mean, really. Who doesn’t like a cocktail now and again? Perhaps I am a little “wilder” than most. I’m young and I want to have a good time! But lately, I’m starting to wonder if this is deterring me personally and professionally.

Let’s start with my personal life. On three separate occasions, I have been pegged the crazy one amongst my group of friends. Sometimes, I bring this upon myself by cheers-ing with a new acquaintance and challenging him to a chugging contest. But on these more recent occasions, I was acting just as normal, if not calmer, than my friends. I was put up to a kegstand just..because I looked like I could do it? Granted, I do always seem to be the one who steps up to take that shot or chug that beer. But even worse, I am sometimes called out when no such instances occur. Just a couple weeks ago, I was standing against the bar, barely touching my drink, and I got pegged. “You!” this guy said, “You’re the crazy one!” Huh?

What did I do or say to prompt this? Is it my unruly hair that gives it away? Do I have a twinkle in my eye (or perhaps a twitch from too much caffeine)? Are my mannerisms more provocative than those around me?

I’m not sure. But I’d really like to know.

At work, I’ve already been pegged as a party girl. While I often joke around with my fellow admins, I don’t ask our team of analysts where they’re headed for a drink. Nor do I dress any “sexier” than any one on the desk. I try to steer clear of anything too short, tight, or cleavage baring. SO what is it? Perhaps my sense of humor? Outgoing nature? I am my no means straight laced, but I do try to maintain a certain level of professionalism. It’s just uncomfortable sometimes, feeling that even at work I might be judged for what I’m doing after 5:30 or on the weekend.

Don’t get me wrong. I have no intentions of changing who I am. I’d just like to know why even complete strangers think I’m so ‘crazy””when I don’t think I’m very crazy at all. Fun? Absolutely. More fun than you? Very possible. I just hope that when I am pegged, it is in good humor. I don’t want this apparently obvious quality to hinder my career or stop a guy from dating me. I wish I could do a survey or a test to figure out what prompts this snap judgement. That way I could try to maybe be calmer in the presence of strangers or keep my sarcasm to a minimum. I mean, let’s be real. I’m fine with being a party girl. But even when I’m not partying?

Brief TSF Psychoanalysis: I often use humor as a defense or a way of finding common ground with people I don’t know well. Is this why??

No comments:

Post a Comment