Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Shy Guy

I work at a big financial firm. One night, after using work-owned seats to go to a Rangers game, Colby and I were on the train home. Out of breath and hunting for seats, we walked the aisles until we found a nice open area where we could put our feet up. We walked by a lone cute guy and I stopped, turned around and said to this guy, "Wait!" and yelled the name of our employer. He laughed and said yes. We sat in the row near him and chatted for a bit. Colby passed out, and me and this guy chatted until he got off the train.

The following Monday, I sent him an IM (from 20 feet away) asking how the rest of his weekend was. He said good, etc but that was pretty much it. We'd say hi if we passed each other in the hall or the cafeteria, but otherwise nothing came of our little train conversation.

A month or so later, I moved three floors away to a new job. About a week after my big move, I got an IM asking where I went from my train friend! We started IMing... and then it turned into IMing everyday for a week. And he next week. Even though it was over IM, he made me giggle at my desk and we had a lot in common. The first time we encountered each other in person, it was incredibly awkward and we tried to chat but we were in a loud and crowded cafeteria. I was signed off of IM, so he shot me an e-mail and we went back and forth for a bit. But that's pretty much where it ended.

I was hoping to encounter him at the company Christmas party so we could chat in a more relaxed environment. Unfortunately, he wasn't signed onto IM all day and was not at the bar. Disappointment. I decided to back off for a bit, since clearly this wasn't going anywhere. I was hoping he'd perhaps try to meet up somewhere or somehow but I guess...not.

Like 85% of the world, "Work IM Boy" as I affectionately call him was on vacation the week between Christmas and New Year's. The first Monday of 2011, I saw him in the caf and said hello. Minutes later, I got an IM asking about my New Year. And the chatting began again. Sometimes, I'll shoot the first IM. Even if we encounter each other in the gym or else where, I have a feeling he won't make a move. And there's not much else I can do. The only way we'll ever get beyond the IM is if one of us chats up the other in real life and tries to hang out outside of the work building. And I don't think it's going to be me. It's really too bad, because he's cute. But I wonder if he's just not interested or that shy?

No comments:

Post a Comment