Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sketchy Steve

Back in July, I met a guy at the bar with Seraphina. He was cute, smart, well dressed and a law student. Seemed to be a nice enough guy. His friend TR joked that Steve often went missing, which I immediately used as reason to dismiss him. But he assured me that he'd come around for me. So we exchanged numbers and he actually called me a couple days later. But we never got together and he quickly faded into the background.

While Colby and I were at the Rangers game sometime in mid-October, I got a text from a random number. When I opened the text, I realized that it was that guy from back in July, asking me if I was out at the bar where we met. I was kind of drunk and responded enthusiastically, instead of ignoring the text like any smart girl would. So I heard from him a couple days later and agreed to meet him for a drink. And I even managed to remember his name before we met up.

We met up on a Thursday night and actually had a really good time. Somewhat suspicious, I joked around but was not overly bubbly. We had good chemistry, and of course he talked about doing things together in the future (a game I will never quite wrap my head around). He kept his phone out on the table, and I noticed someone with a gender neutral name called him twice during our date. Hmm. He mentioned a friend's party that following Saturday and invited me to potentially join him. I told him maybe and figured he might just go missing again. But since I'd had a good time, I tried to think positive.

Surprisingly, he invited me to go out with him and his friends that Saturday. I called up Elena to join me and we planned to head up to meet them at a bar in his town. I last heard from him around 9:00 PM while still getting ready. He was at his buddy's and said he'd let me know when they all headed to the bar. I dolled myself up and put on a fitted sweater, leggings, and 3" ankle boots (Steve is not that tall). I was feeling pretty and confident and curious about how the night would turn out.

So I zoomed over to Elena's and we decided to have a drink since I hadn't heard from Steve. One drink turned into two, and by 11:00 we decided to just head to our usual stomping ground. I thought about contacting Mr. Sketchy, but I was annoyed and figured it wasn't worth it. Elena and I ended up having quite a crazy night anyway. Oddly enough, I got a text from Sketcher as the bar was closing - saying "what's the matter?" then soon after "sorry that was for someone else"... So I said no worries and he said he'd wanted to see me that night. Well, I had zero information, idiot. The game continued, he contacted me the following weekend and asked me what I was doing on Halloween. As if I wouldn't have plans. And then asked me to meet him and his friends at the bar the following Friday.

For some reason (boredem? desperation?) I decided that despite his blunders, I'd meet up with him and his friends. On my own. I chatted a lot with his friend TR and we had a blast. He was all over me, and kept trying to smooch me. I think he was drunk...(perhaps because of the car bombs we had?) which makes everyone a bit more friendly. I realized that we could party together and hang out and just talk. And he was introducing me to his friends girlfriend and his friend from work. Whoa.

Then he went missing again. We'd exchanged gmail addresses, and he g-chatted me a few times, saying he'd be down to grab drinks in a few weeks. A few weeks? Really? When you've been missing for the past month? No thanks. So I was cool to him and decided to just give up on Sketchy Steve, since obviously he didn't think I was worthy of his time. I realized that I should adopt the same attitude.


Christmas night Janelle called me and we decided to meet up with some friends at the only bar open on the holiday. So while we sipped on our first drink, in walked none other than Sketchy Steve! I said hi and he went on his way, only to return numerous times throughout the night and just kind of....stand there and stare into my eyes. Janelle did a perfect impression - he came in from smoking a butt, beelined to me, and just stared! I tried talking but he seemed completely uninterested in such matters... It was quite odd. When I was kind of tipsy and being silly, he said he "liked me like that".... I told him I'm always silly but he had trouble believing me. I guess I'm more guarded and bitchy than I thought. In any case, I tried to be friendly and was generally confused by this fellow.

So I think Sketchy Steve - six months later - is a lost cause. I tried to be myself and still play hard to get - I didn't want to just give in and act like I was super into him. Even though I was enjoying myself...I wasn't just going to make the first move and accept every invitation he threw my way. He wants to get drinks once every few months, that's cool. But I'd rather he didn't pretend as if he is super into me when he pops up at the bar. Then again I suppose creepily staring into my eyes isn't necessarily him being into me. But now that we're connected on g-chat and facebook, he's just going to pop up on chat lists and remind me of his bizarre form of prolonged rejection.

No comments:

Post a Comment