Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Cold(ish) Shoulder

Yesterday I randomly texted someone I had "talked to" for a couple weeks over the summer. We got along really well and definitely have undeniable chemistry. But then he kind of ...disappeared for a while and needless to say I was hurt. But I often see him around, at the gym or the grocery store, and I haven't been overly friendly but we chat. He recently bought a house so I've told him I want to see it and what not but otherwise there have been no talks of getting together.

Surprisingly, yesterday he immediately responded to my text and asked if I had plans later that night. I said I was going to the gym but otherwise available and he said he would also be at the gym (not surprising) but would be down to get dinner after. And that he'd talk to me about it at the gym.

I obviously consulted Belinda and Seraphina for advice, and both of them suggested I blow him off after him blowing me off months before. But Korey, always on the same page as me, was just as excited about this possible rekindling. Just no funny business.

So when the guy approached me mid-run on the treadmill, I agreed to dinner later that night. He called a few minutes before I was to meet him and off we went.

He greeted me with a kiss on the lips (uh oh?) and we went to grab burgers and beer. Conversation flowed easily as usual and we caught up. Since I did not want to hook up with him, I laughed when he suggested we go up to his empty office and he said that it'd be hot. I was hoping he'd get the hint, and I think he did. He grabbed my foot under the table when we were getting ready to go, and refused to let me pick up any part of the bill. I thanked him for dinner and he thanked me for hanging out with him. On our way to the car, I had my arms crossed to keep me warm and he started putting his hand around my waist then jokingly apologized. Since he was such a jerk before, I didn't want to give him the idea that I'd be hooking up with him that night. But maybe this move was a bit too cold? I'm not sure. I didn't purposely want to send out a "HAND'S OFF" signal, but I know the moment I let him in I would just let him...well, do whatever he wanted. And I couldn't let that happen. At least not yet.

So we drove back to his new house and he asked if I wanted the tour. I looked at my watch and it was 10:04 PM. I refused the tour, knowing what would happen if we went inside. He said I didn't have to, which I found surprisingly nice. Then he drove me back around the block to my car.

The good-bye was semi-awkward, probably because I had given him a mildly cold shoulder. I couldn't help it, really. But we didn't hug or kiss (I sure didn't initiate) and I said I'd talk to him soon. I wonder now if I was too cold or if my resistance was warranted. I guess I'll thank him again at the gym and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment