Sunday, December 27, 2009

Turned Tables?

My best guy friend Porter has a friend, Dirk, who has become a part of our core group over the last couple of years. So we have developed a friendship as well. Nothing out of the ordinary. He's offered career advice and what not, and I'm pretty sure until recently he thought I was an out of control wild child. I've asked him to lunch, not thinking it was anything but platonic.

But then a few times he asked what I was doing and to hang out. Uh oh. Was he crushing on me and thinking my touchy nature meant I was flirting? Or just desperate for a new friend who was chatty and revealed her entire life story on one train ride? Not sure. He often made half-serious self-depreciating remarks and still whined over his ex-girlfriend a year later.

Seraphina tried to encourage me to go out with him. I was completely disturbed by this idea. Not only was he freakishly nerdy, he was very much like my dad. Some say this is a good thing. The similarities were not attractive. Especially since their wardrobes were almost exactly the same despite a thirty year age gap. And when I was bringing up all the reasons why I would NEVER date Dirk, Seraphina said "well, he doesn't like to go out".

DING, DING, DING! If that's not a red flag, then I don't know what is. Granted I'm not trying to date someone as crazy as I am (that would be toxic) but Dirk is the guy who sits in the corner alone! And cries over an ex? Even worse. It's just crazy to me that this one time a guy is maybe interested, and actually knows me for ME...Not the crazy girl at the bar, he's an utter disaster. No self esteem and an emo? No thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment