Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Platonic Or...?

Since I am grossly overanalytical (and have too much spare time), I've recently been thinking about how I hang out with a lot of guys. Unfortunately, I do not mean romantically. I just have guy friends around here who are always down to party. Luckily, I am not interested in pursuing any of them and I'm 99% sure they aren't interested in me either. I just fear that my frequent hanging out with just the guys is making me one of them.

Don't get me wrong here. I am extremely femenine, dressed to the nines as often as possible. My hair is halfway down my back and I try to rarely be caught without makeup. But I love to have a good time and I'm pretty sarcastic... and I've heard I'm also funny. But that's just me. Do I have to tone it down in order to be liked in a nonplatonic way?

I ask this question because at my new-ish (ok, I'm 5 weeks into it) job, I've developed a flirtation with a coworker. We don't work directly together, but in an office of only about 15 people. I invited him and the other guys to my birthday celebration but none attended, though one, let's call him Cornell, did ask what was going on and texted me etc etc. I thought nothing of it (and had a crush on another guy in the office) until I got a text at 11:30 on a weeknight essentially saying hello. We went back and forth a bit but I eventually passed out. The next day we chatted a bit and I explained to him that my normal happy hour friend was going out of town. And he texted me a few hours after work asking if I was in the market for a replacement drinking buddy. So we made plans to hang out the following night.

I worked late that night and had not heard from him by 7. I was getting worried and I was even tempted to text him to see what's up. Luckily this idea was vetoed by my trusty advisors, Freida and her man-friend. Anyways, Cornell came through and we decided (based on a chat the evening before) that'd we'd go for margaritas. He was with his friends and I unfortunately, lacking enough female friends within a 15-mile radius, begged Seraphina to accompany me. She did, thank God. We met up with Cornell and his three friends and had some margaritas and a laugh. We stayed out until the bar closed and before I even dropped Seraphina off, I had a text from Cornell saying he had a great time. We once again texted back and forth until I passed out.

The thing is, we don't interact that much at work. And it seems we're often talking about partying. I mean, that can't be the only hobby we have in common. Right? One would think. But because I feel like since the work week begun, I've been making the effort. I'm not really sure what to think. I'm sure he's a bit hesitant since we "work together" but I'm done with this little temp gig in another 5 weeks. I just don't know. But I just don't want Cornell to think I'm just a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment