Monday, May 4, 2009

Name Tag Night

My best guy friend, let's call him Porter, invited me to attend a "Singles Happy Hour" with some of his coworkers last Friday. I was not only apprehensive, but I do not think I am pathetic enough to have to attend such an event. But I'd had another boring day at the office and could use a beer. Besides, I always have a good time with Port.

Far too overwhelmed to walk in alone, I forced Port to meet me outside. We walked in and he, being very politician like, introduced me around. I met the organizer, Elaine, who proved to be quite a riot, as well as various other Singles. Much to mine and Elaine's dismay, no one caught my eye. But I sipped my beer (on Port's tab) and talked about the newly warm weather and other equally exciting topics. A bit later, Port introduced me to his coworker, who apparently shares some acquaintances with Port and me. The three of us talked for a while and had quite a few laughs. Porter then conveniently wandered off, leaving me and Port's Coworker (PCw) to chat alone. I found him pretty funny and there were no awkward or uncomfortable moments. I then left to pick up Karlene who was coming up for the weekend, and we said goodbye and nice to meet you.

Karlene decided she also needed a beer after an hour and a half on the train, so rather then head home I dragged her back to happy hour. Karlene has a serious boyfriend and was therefore dubbed by Elaine a fellow "Committed Connector". This being a mixer of sorts, most attendees were wearing name tags. I hate name tags. I (and PCw and I discussed this) usually put them somewhere on my body that is nowhere near my chest (my preferred spot is usually somewhere around my filet mignon ass). The second time around, I was unable to avoid this name tag game. Karlene was given a red name tag to demonstrate her relationship status, whereas us single folk were given blue as a go-ahead.

These silly name tags became a bit of a game for those of us at the bar. And don't think PCw kept himself away for too long. After covering the logo on my Bud Light with "My Name is ____", it was easy for us to pick up where we left off. A few more people had come and gone, and there were more introductions. Surprisingly, the once awkward mingling was becoming much more comfortable. Strangers were now pairing off in different areas of the bar, and the crowd began to thin. I soon became bored and realized it was far past my usual dinner time, so Karlene and I decided to head out. While standing with her, PCw, and some randoms, I said "My work here is done". PCw laughed and said, "No it's not. You haven't given me your number yet". So I politely obliged. Stay tuned for part two.

1 comment:

  1. so what happened with this guy? Did he call?

    ReplyDelete