Friday, May 22, 2009

The...Sweaty Stranger?

I am not much of an athlete, but I do make (weak) attempts at getting in shape. My workouts are normally limited to one hour at Planet Fitness. I work out better with a friend, whose comfort I seek by sticking by her on the treadmill or following her to the stretching mats. Point blank, I feel slightly out of place at the gym. Maybe it's my lack of athleticism or my aversion to working out. But one thing does keep me motivated and keeps me going back.

Eye candy.

Not only does eye candy remind me of why I am at the gym in the first place, but it makes the dreadful idea of being at the gym much more enticing.

I will admit, although I look far from my best at the gym, I strut around like nobody's business. Perhaps it is because I take comfort in my pretty awesome legs (and make it a point to wear shorts). I do feel eyes following me when I walk by the male-dominated weights section. This is all fine and dandy. I like checking out my fellow gym-goers and I'm glad they reciprocate. Except is it inappropriate to take it beyond a casual gaze?

I am not so sure. I love the idea of admiring that man lift a barbell heavier than my entire body, but do I want to initiate a conversation with him? Or is he concentrating so hard on tearing his muscles that the idea of chatting with an attractive woman is far too much? How about when they stare me down as I walk by? Is just a smile sufficient? Or is it really worthwhile to play dumb and ask how to use a machine? (Although I wouldn't necessarily be pretending in this situation). I'd like to think that the gym is a better place to meet a guy than say, a random pub on a Thursday evening. Except I still question whether or not I want to talk to a guy when I'm gross and sweaty from forty minutes on the treadmill. Or if he will want to talk to me, looking oh-so-flushed and frizzy.

There are just so many factors- Most everyone is wearing headphones, so you can't just make a casual comment about how "crowded" the gym is today. What about that guy you know you've seen around? Is it weird to say you think you know him from somewhere? Gym etiquette, especially in terms of flirting, is still quite foreign to me. Hopefully tonight I won't have to worry about initiating the conversation at all, and one of those sexy men working his triceps will talk to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment