Friday, June 26, 2009

Setting Your Sights

Kendall and I were recently discussing how she often goes for guys she "knows she can get". Rhonda also apparently does this. I unfortunately tend to go after a challenge. Someone who is, in some respect at least, out of my league. I could think they are really hot or sought after by other girls. Maybe it is my somewhat competitive nature. Or perhaps I am just think I'm just cooler/hotter/smarter than I am.

I'm just not sure what is better. To set the bar low? Then at least you know you'll get what you want, even if the guy is far from perfect. Maybe make him like you more than you like him. Be admired, right? Make him adore you? This actually sounds quite spectacular. But does a just-alright guy necessarily make the best boyfriend? Partner? Can you have that undeniable chemistry with someone you think is just...alright? I suppose if admiration includes showering you with gifts and attention, it'd be acceptable. But I think I might get a bit annoyed.

Maybe I'm immature, and God knows I'm not ready for a serious relationship (at least I don't think so). But the idea of getting emotionally involved with someone I think I'm "better than" doesn't seem right. And going after someone I know I can get seems dishonest. I want it to be more of an equal-liking. Kendall says people tell her boyfriend she's too good for him, which I'm sure only forces him to question himself. Or forces her to question if she's right to be with him. Who are they to judge? If she feels more comfortable with a regular guy, let it be. I may not do this myself, but each girl has their own way of choosing.

Maybe I will fall for a regular guy who will admire me much more than I do them. And perhaps if I adopt Kendall's attitude, it will happen sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment