Friday, June 19, 2009

Too Self-Centered?

On Wednesday night while at the bar with some of the girls, I started talking to a boy resembling a nerdy Prince William in a patriotic tie. We were chatting about work and where we lived and things of that nature. He inquired a lot about me. After a couple drinks I was more than happy to tell him about how terribly stupid I am at work among other ridiculous, exaggerated things. The conversation was mostly focused on yours truly. When I finally asked Prince William about himself, he made sure to point out that I had yet to ask anything about him. I found out where he was from and his ethnic background. We got ready to leave a short while later and said goodbye.

Although he bought me a drink and we talked for a solid half-hour, he failed to ask for my phone number. Rather than let it go, my brazen friend Janelle told Prince William that her drunk friend (me) would regret not asking for his number myself. So she took it down. When doing so, he told her that one reason he didn't ask to exchange numbers was because he was worried I wouldn't remember his name.

Wow. So either I came across as much more drunk than I was, or he thought I was so incredibly self-absorbed that I wouldn't care to remember. I suspect it was a combination of the two. But his half-joking remark pointing out that I failed to ask about him forces me to question this. Perhaps my jokes about thinking I am fabulous and attractive were a turnoff, but I thought it was funny. Prince William seemed rather amused, enough so to buy me a drink. But not enough so to want to see me again. Maybe he thought if we saw each other, I would just blabber on about myself so much that my voice would eventually sound like fingernails slowly sliding down a chalkboard. I will have to work on finding a happy medium when it comes to my overconfidence, otherwise I'll be sending more Prince William lookalikes running.

3 comments:

  1. I think you should call him...mayb he'll get another impression the next time around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May not be Prince Charming but could be a free dinner? Call! Besides it would be interesting to see TSF ask a guy out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sidenote: TSF Did in fact, use his number and texted him that very night. With no response back from Prince Charming :(

    ReplyDelete