Monday, April 20, 2009

The Denim Debacle

This weekend, a few friends and I were discussing clothing and brands of jeans. My friend, let's call him Penthouse Pete, lives in a really nice apartment. He said a girl once asked him how he could live somewhere so nice and wear jeans from the Gap. He was slightly appalled by this but still decided to go to Bloomie's and buy some new gear to match his sweet crib. It's obviously shallow of this girl to say that the label on his jeans should coincide with the size of his apartment, but is it really that great for a guy to know designer labels?

I appreciate good grooming and I think it's great when a guy makes an effort. Except I am still unsure about designer denim. I dated a guy who was a metrosexual label whore, and I found it kind of irritating. He knew what brands my jeans were and noticed when I got a new bag. This led me to question his sexuality. Call me crazy, but I'd much prefer if a guy noticed how my ass looks in my jeans rather than be able to identify the Seven squiggle. It also adds pressure when you have to worry if your outfit is not only flattering, stylish and sexy, but expensive to boot!

Gap jeans aren't that cheap. And really, do some girls need to give us all a bad rap by saying a guy needs to wear True Religions to be worthy of our attention? Maybe it's because jeans and watches are the only real ways a guy can show off what he's got. After all, we can carry Louis and wear Louboutins and labels galore, but a button down is a button down, at least from the outside. But jeans are not just jeans. Not if you live in a penthouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment