Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Name Game: Epilogue

Remember that time I got called the wrong name the day after what I'd hoped would be a one night stand?

Once again, he has come back to haunt me.

I was walking from one bar to another on Saturday night, when Joanie called. I excitedly answered the phone and tried to catch up with her. This lasted all of thirty seconds until she informed me that someone wanted to talk to me. I for the life of me could not imagine who it was, except for maybe her boyfriend.

Instead, the voice said it was him. Great in bed, not so great with names. He started making small talk with me, asking me what I was up to these days. I tried to avoid the questions and referenced the weather rather than acknowledge the fact that he has been poking me on Facebook for the past few months. I quickly ended the phone call when I got into the bar. But I was left somewhat perturbed (sorry, Joanie) that this kid was still trying to reach out to me. What's done is done, after all. The poking I find somewhat amusing (and I have not poked back since this phone call) but why must he make this attempt at contact and act like we were friends? We hooked up. Once. That's all. Was it seeing Joanie that he was reminded of me? Did he bring up this ingenious idea to call me? I would have never answered had I known Joanie would hand off the phone to this kid. Next time I attempt a one night stand, I'm going to make sure he is a total stranger.

1 comment: