Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The First Impression

When I went to visit Rhonda and Korey, Rhonda's friend Willa invited a number of friends (guys and girls) and to pregame with us. When I came downstairs after my standard two hours of primping, I caught a very cute guy in a blue polo checking me out.

We played flip cup, and Blue Polo was unfortunately at the other end of the table. I tried to show off my incredible talent at this game, but I seemed to have gotten rusty since my glory days at frat parties. I chatted it up with some of the others at Rhonda and Korey's until Korey and I left to go to the bar.

While up at the bar waiting on my 2nd vodka tonic, Blue Polo and some of the other guys from the pregame were right next to me. Perfect opportunity to chat it up. I said hello and learned his name but tried not to pay special attention to him. I went back to chat with my friends and dance, but it wasn't long before I was chatting with him again. He was super nice and responsive. YES!

And then I woke up, fully clothed and dying of thirst. No, this was not a dream about Blue Polo. I once again completely blacked out at the bar. I would like to blame it on the flip cup and the lack of a substantial dinner. No matter now, but why do I always seem to ruin my image with getting completely trashed? This is not to say I expected Blue Polo to become my boyfriend after one night. And it's unlikely I'll ever see him again. But if I do, I'm sure he'll remember me as the Totally Drunk Girl. What a first impression! I mean, some of my friends have tried to assure me that everyone else was wasted, too. But Korey told me I got pretty clingy later on (which is very likely considering my normal drunken behavior) and he tried to run away, only to be chased by me again. I almost feel bad for him for having to even meet me. I like to think Blackout SingleFriend is not very much like Sober SingleFriend. I'd hope that any logical person can understand that I am not always a clingy drunk.

But first impressions do mean a lot and I guess I pretty much killed even making Blue Polo my friend. If the shoe was on the other foot, I probably would have run away from me, too. I just wonder sometimes why we put such weight on the first impression. Is it subconscious? Because how can you judge someone based soley on a first meeting? I don't really understand. Although I guess I often form an opinion after one meeting, so I can't say it's wrong. It just seems like it's a little crazy and a lot of pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment