Monday, April 13, 2009

Too Slow?

Friday night I ran into someone I used to lifeguard with and recently begun seeing again at the gym. Since I have pretty much stopped working out (except for a few rare Saturdays), I don't see him anymore. One time over the summer, he asked for my number because we both returned home after college and he claimed he was always looking for friends in the area.

We had the normal five to ten minutes of small talk, until I spotted someone else and ran to say hi. I carried on business as usual, chatting it up with our crew and sipping on my vodka tonic.

I was surprised when my former co-worker came up to me to say something. He said, "All the cool kids are going to Barcelona", but since it was super loud I asked him to repeat himself not once but twice. It also took me an extra moment to realize he was not talking about the city in Spain but the bar around the corner. So rather than pretend I'd stop by there later or continue the conversation, I said something along the lines of "Cool, see ya". Whoops.

Perhaps he was just being nice, but he did go out of his way to say bye and inform me that he was leaving. I think I was caught off guard (and obviously zoning out a bit), but part of me wants to think maybe he wanted to keep hanging out. He is pretty quiet. And he did suggest he might even call me few months before. I may be reading into this too much, because maybe he was just being polite. But I think I may have to start working out more to increase my odds of running into him again.

1 comment:

  1. "It also took me an extra moment to realize he was not talking about the city in Spain but the bar around the corner. So rather than pretend I'd stop by there later or continue the conversation, I said something along the lines of "Cool, see ya". Whoops."

    This is why I love you. However, he may not feel the same. Go to the gym and make a move!

    <3

    ReplyDelete