Friday, April 24, 2009

The (Misinterpreted) Signs

Last night, my friend Norbert and I went to dinner. While waiting to get seated, we had some drinks at the bar. The three middle-aged people next to us turned out to be quite a riot.

After they began joked around with us for a few minutes, Norbert and I went back to chatting with each other. When we get together, there is usually deep conversation involved, advice giving, and analysis of each others' lives. We dabbled in relationship talk and what not, and we were also checking out the bartenders. A bit later, one of the women told me we were the best looking couple in the restaurant. She asked me if we were together, and I just laughed and casually nodded. She said the thought so. She then pointed to the man in their party, who had said he thought Norbert and I were on our first date. After they mocked each other for a bit, Norb and I finally got our table. Norbert corrected them and told the woman we were just good friends. As I walked away, the woman pulled me closer and told me Norb was cute and that I should hook up with him.

Norbert has a boyfriend.

Luckily, Norb and I already know how hot we are. What's funny is that this crew of middle-aged out of towners was trying to figure out our relationship. What made the woman closer to us think we were together, where as the man further away thought it was our first date? Norbert and I, always analtyical, pondered this throughout most of our meal. Was it how I laughed so overly enthusiastically or Norb's incredibly posture? Did we not look relaxed or at ease? Maybe it's because we weren't canoodling. Perhaps the woman thought we were together because she heard bits and pieces of our conversation. She obviously wanted us to get together if we weren't. Either way, it was funny to hear what an outsider thought about us. Especially the hottest couple part.

No comments:

Post a Comment