Sunday, April 19, 2009

Too Nice?

On Friday night, my friend Elena and I went to a bar/club outside of our comfort zone. It was about a forty minute drive and a new-ish place. I was more excited to be out with Elena than venture into the unknown, but I tried to stay positive.

We arrived at this "hotspot" and I advised Elena I wanted to turn around and go to a more familiar setting. Not only was it 18+ night (which I haven't attended since I was maybe 17) but the crowd was an interesting mixture of trash and thug. I was wasting an outfit on this?

Elena was not phased and $7 later, we entered this enormously empty "club". We made a beeline to the bar and order shots. Lots of them. After a few rounds and a little dancing, Elena struck up a conversation with the only guy who appeared to be over 21 and somewhat normal. While they commiserated about this "club", I somehow started talking to his friend. He told me I was beautiful, and rather than thank him or compliment him back, I said "I know. I'm a model". Undeterred, he asked me to pose. And I made a ridiculous face and he laughed. Clearly this was not true. But this definitely opened the door for more conversation, and we chatted most of the night. He continued to compliment me and I half-jokingly remarked I was the hottest girl at the bar. Surprisingly, this guy was somewhat intelligent, had a real job, an apartment, and we found we had a lot in common. He invited Elena and me back to his place when we got bored of being at the bar. I refused, but always easily persuaded I agreed to it once Elena told me it was a good idea.

We got to his apartment, which was relatively clean with no visible signs that he was psychotic. We played Wii and sobered up for the drive back. He held my hand but didn't make any other moves to hook up with me. He was really, well... Nice. I am not used to this.

On our drive home he texted that it was nice to meet me and told me to thank Elena for bringing him home. So I said you too, blah blah. First thing the next morning I had more texts. Uh oh.

The text was very sweet, but I tend to freak out when people are too nice. He remembered that I was going into the city that night and said hopefully he would be able to see me again. Six hours later, I replied with a generic, thanks talk to you soon. Woops. And then I got no answer. Which is totally one of my pet peeves. Would it have been so hard for me to answer him within an hour? Why was I so turned off by his nice-ness? So he wasn't a dead ringer for Channing Tatum. Few men are, right? No one's perfect. Neither am I, but I like to think I come close. I also tell myself that I am not that friendly or kind, and have a hard time believing others can be so genuinely nice. He did seem interested though. Very interested. I'm willing to have a little fun, so why not just give it a shot?

With Elena's voice in my head and figuring that he might be willing to take me on a date, I bravely texted him Sunday night. Within 30 seconds he responded, but I then told him I was headed to bed. He said the same. That was that. Let's see if The Nice Guy is into The Single Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment