Monday, April 13, 2009

The Sexy Salesman

One day, Korey and I went out to lunch then blew a couple hours shopping and doing various other errands. I have recently been hunting for the perfect rain jacket, so we went into a store that sells The North Face and other outdoorsy gear. Not exactly my type of store.

Fortunately, after looking around confused, the man behind the counter asked us if we wanted help. Korey and I looked at each other, and I attempted to describe to him what type of rain jacket (since apparently there are many) I was looking for. He had shaggy dark hair and piercing blue eyes, and was incredibly knowledgeable when it came to dressing for the weather. His suggestion to layer for warmth when it was cold and rainy was incredibly profound. I nodded my head, staring at those eyes just wondering how one could be so articulate when it came to jackets.

After he finished describing my options to me, I was still not convinced enough to drop $200 on a thin piece of nylon. What I really wanted to do was make polite small talk and ask him if he was from the area or whether he was a student at an area university. And perhaps if he wanted to have dinner?

Instead Korey and I said thank you and went on our way, mesmerized by this beautiful creature.

What I am most disappointed in is not my lack of rain gear, but that I was too shy? Awkward? Stupid? To steer the conversation away from rain shells to the salesman himself. Why is it, that when already mid conversation, I have such a hard time thinking of something witty and creative to say? This was a perfect opportunity, after all. I just lack the ability to move the conversation from something so generic and impersonal to something deeper. I guess I will have to try to be more friendly and act more interested. And go back to that store.

2 comments:

  1. story of my life chica! can you give this guy my number? i'm just kidding, go back there and get him! and a cute rain coat too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. y not just be a huge stalker and creep him on facebook?....but before that casually bump into him and make sure his body matches that of such an outdoorsman

    ReplyDelete